The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) is back in town and we love every second of the month-long event. It is an incredibly fun time for families or date nights, and our Houston Galleria apartments offer such a convenient location it’s just another reason to visit on a weeknight and go back for more (our Galleria apartments are 9 miles from NRG Park).
Many rodeo-goers get there early to ride the festive carnival rides and eat all the fried-fare-foods like Fried Oreos, Fried Twinkies, Fried Butter, Turkey Legs, brisket and pretty much anything else fried and tasty you can imagine. But carnival rides, barrel races and food on sticks aside, many people don’t realize how many people it takes to get the Rodeo up and running each March, including 35,000 volunteers and 108 committees, directing traffic, getting things lined up, as well as doing good things for our Houston community (read their mission statement below, from their website):
MISSION STATEMENT: The Houston Livestock Show and RodeoTM promotes agriculture by hosting an annual, family-friendly experience that educates and entertains the public, supports Texas youth, showcases Western heritage and provides year-round educational support within the community.
Whether you’re new to the Houston Rodeo or not, we wanted to share some fun things we found from their website:
At RODEOHOUSTON, approximately 320 contestants compete in the Super Series and the Super Shootout® presented by Crown Royal. Together, the competitions’ total payout is $2.17 million. RODEOHOUSTON includes 20 days of action- packed championship rodeo competitions.
- Midland’s Cameron Duddy collaborated with Bruno Mars for his “24K Magic” music video.
- The youngest RODEOHOUSTON solo entertainer Khalid is 22-years-old and the oldest RODEOHOUSTON solo entertainer is Willie Nelson, 86.
- Kane Brown is the first country artist in history to have consecutive No. 1 singles on all five Billboard country charts.
- Chris Stapleton began his career in the music industry first as a songwriter, penning hits for some of the leading entertainers in the music industry including George Strait, Patty Loveless, Miranda Lambert and Adele.
- Cody Johnson, Maren Morris and Willie Nelson are from Texas, and the band Midland was founded in Dripping Springs, Texas. Khalid has also called El Paso, Texas, home since he was a junior in high school.
- Chris Young broke into the country music scene in 2006 when he won the reality singing competition “Nashville Star.”
- RODEOHOUSTON Go Tejano Day performer, Ramon Ayala, began playing the accordion at just six years old.
- NCT 127 is the first K-pop group to perform at the Rodeo. They also made history as the first K-pop group ever to perform at the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade®.
- Becky G released her debut studio album, “Mala Santa,” in October 2019.
- Dierks Bentley has created 19 No. 1 singles throughout his career.
- Chance the Rapper released three successful mixtapes prior to releasing his first full album.
- Lizzo attended Elsik High School and the University of Houston before starting her music career.
Want to know more about our Galleria apartments in Houston that keep you close to all the Rodeo action?
Take a minute to see our online photo tour, and see why people love our neighborhood, amenities, and more. Our Galleria Houston apartments offer lush landscaping, 20 beautiful courtyards, five-star customer service, plus plenty of spacious floor plans to choose from.
Visit us at 2400 Yorktown or call one of our friendly leasing agents at 281.688.6058. Be sure to ask about our current leasing specials and availability today!